BRING BACK ANY MEMORIES ?

Share your funnies and have a laugh - Remember, there may be young eyes watching so keep it clean

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

BRING BACK ANY MEMORIES ?

Post by Ellas mum »

Bring back any memories?

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 p.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.
>
Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Sweet cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
7. Peashooters
8. 33 rpm records
9. 45 RPM records
10. Hi-fi's
11. Metal ice trays with lever
12. Blue flashbulb
13. Cork popguns
14. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You’re still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 11-14 =You're older than dirt!

I must be 'older than dirt' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends....I just did!!!!!!!!!

(PS. I used a large type face so you could read it easily)

:2079:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: BRING BACK ANY MEMORIES ?

Post by lynn wise »

How does that song go.....THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES....

No games played sitting down with fingers on buttons

whip n' top
Hopscotch
Jacks (metal things that you threw down then bounced a little ball whilst you tried to pick up the jacks )
Kick can
cans with rope through the top that you held and walked on the cans like stilts.
Skipping with a washing line, played by all the children in the area you could muster
And not least...we walked EVERYWHERE
OOH, and sweeties that you bought by the ounce, that came in little white triangular bags.
And brought up to be proud you were British
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I must be really old because I remember all those things. I am sure there are more but my memory is not what it used to be probably because I am sooooo old. :1960
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

My memories so bad I keep for
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I'm not quite so old, but I walked to school over a mile each way in all weathers, they didn't shut the school unless the heating had broken down.
We had a TV just before President Kennedy was assassinated.. must have been 1963. No phone but when we did it was on a party line. No central heating for many years... we were much healthier.
Looking at the list again... this time with my specs on.......I remember 12, Oooooh I'm older than dirt !!

but the one thing that has never changed, we have always had a dog about the house, the first one was from a dogs home, the second was a stray.... and I have always gravitated towards people that love animals, can't think of any friends that don't like dogs. Tough if they don't. :1945:
Last edited by Cobi and Ginnies Mum on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

In total agreement there Lynda.
Once a dog lover, always a dog lover.
The one thing that's constant.
:2383:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I do remember that we always wore stockings and suspenders never tights. And I also :2003: remember how uncomfortable they were.
Molly's Maid

Post by Molly's Maid »

How about:

1. The Spong for mincing the leftover meat from Sunday lunch to make mince and potatoes on Monday followed by mince and onion pies on Tuesdays.

2. Polishing ALL the shoes in the house (with proper brushes) on a Sunday morning.

3. A wooden clothes horse in front of an open fire.

4. Having no bathroom and an outside privvy. (How cold was that in the winter?)

5. Men's drinks (light and bitter or other brews in a pint glass, NOT a bottle) and ladies' drinks (sherry and other things EXCEPT those that come in a pint glass)

6. Real newspaper around your fish and chips - which were served with the little batter bits that floated in the lard they used to cook!

7. Eileen Fowler on radio 4 (sorry, the fourth programme) for the fitness fanatics!

8. Spending hours creating useful and attractive articles from washing up liquid bottles and sticky back plastic as per the instructions on Blue Peter.

9. 'Two balls' against a brick wall. And all the little rhymes we sang to accompany the juggling. "I went to a Chinese restaurant to buy a loaf of bread, bread bread.....etc.)

10. Penny for the guy rather than trick or treat.

And I'm not even old enough to be a grandma yet.

This does not bode well for my future!
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Shivering now thinking about the outside loo. We had an paraffin heater in there to stop it freezing up. and there was an old overcoat wrapped round the tank which was over our heads.

What about having a bath in the tin bath in front of the fire. No showers.
SPLODGE

Post by SPLODGE »

I must be very old too 'cos I remember most of the things already mentioned. Do you remember getting dressed under the bedclothes so your clothes became a little bit warmer before you put them on? And Jack Frost on the INSIDE of the windows so you could scrape patterns in the frosty patterns already there!
How about the foot x-ray machine in the shoe shop to see if the shoes really fitted? I'm surprised we didn't all walk around with glowing feet
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

I can remember my Dad repairing our shoes in the shed with rubber soles and heels. The heels were nailed on and the soles were glued, trouble was....when they'd had a few wettings the soles started to laugh (come off at the toes) :1967 , sometimes we used steel tips on the heels, I always thought they sounded quite 'grown up', and remember buying packet's of steel screws to repair your stiletto heels?

My sister and I used to nail wooden bobbins to an old pair of shoes to make 'high heels'.

My Dad's new jacket's always had leather patches stitched on the elbow's.

I can even remember my Granny's old toilet (tippler) and the squares of cut up newspaper on a string behind the door.

I might even beat Jan on that one :1968
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Eeh Jean,
I remember my Dad telling me a story about when he was growing up in St.Helens. The young lads would hang about the back cobbles waiting to hear someone going out to the tippler ( they had flaps that opened into the back streets so they could be emptied ) When the user was well and truly entrenched, the lads would lift up the flap, slap a bare bottom with a piece of wood, then run like the clappers.

I remember a friend of mine that lived on a farm, no mains water at that time. They got the water from a well in the yard, the toilet was across the yard from the house. 2 holes in a wooden seat that emptied into the field next to the midden heap. 2 boys and 2 girls that were always immaculate, and the home as well. Don't know how their mum did it.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

John's mum had a tippler toilet. Don't think they had a flap at the back though. But then again I would never go in there.

A friend of mine had one of the toilets with a wooden seat for two. Can you imagine that. Not much privacy there. Anyway they had night soil men who came to empty it every week. What a job. Stayed indoors at that time. The smell was horrendous. :2029:
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

There was a school I was at in Liverpool and the loo comprised a long wooden bench with 12 holes in it.There were partitions of sorts. However under the bench was a channel of constantly flowing water. At the top end of the flow a pupil would light a crumpled piece of news paper and send it down the channel !!! You could hear the screams for miles !!

P, S J & C
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

You wouldn't have been that pupil would you ? Perish the thought.