Monty

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

sammingtonsmythes

Monty

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Morning everyone!
Just had to tell you all especially Jan something quite remarkable has happened.Monty seems to have turned almost overnight into OUR dog.I don't know how to describe it its as if a switch has been activated in his brain.He is altogether more calmer.I was a bit worried at first that he might be poorly, but do you know I just think he has decided we are ok and can completely trust us.He is adorable with Ellie licking her and being so much gentler with her.He loves being with her and i can tell that she loves him being around.It's like someone has waved a magic wand over him.Is it you Jan his fairy godmother?
Hugs to all our Golden friends and their Mums & Dads
Last photos for a while i think don't want to bore you all!
:love6 :love2
Samsmum

Re: Monty

Post by Samsmum »

So pleased to hear that Monte has now decided he is in his forever home. I'm sure he will be totally happy - and yes, I think Jan is everybody's Fairy Godmother, particularly the Goldens she has rescued.
Pictures are lovely - please don't stop.
Best wishes - Samsmum (Joyce),
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

What super pictures Long time since I have seen a hare. Monty looks so happy. We will never get bored of pictures.
:love4
sammingtonsmythes

Thanks Jan just wondering if you could help with Monty's fear of the car we just tried again but it was the same as when we were with you.Andy and I have been getting him in the boot all week for just a few minutes no problem.I think it is fear through association maybe he has never been in a car,he was ok all the way home when we left you .We eventually got him in the front footwell last night and tried the boot going home but still frantic and barking.Would be very grateful for Ideas please Jan :love4
Last edited by sammingtonsmythes on Thu May 20, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

So glad Monty has fallen in love with you so quickly,and you with him.The photos are lovely keep them coming,we cant get enough, all the dogs look so happy and special its just great to see them all. :thumbleft
Hel_Pen

Post by Hel_Pen »

Hi,

Love the photos. Monty is a very handsome boy. Regarding car travel have you tried feeding him in the boot? It sounds odd, but if he associates something good he might get over his fear. Feed him a couple of times, then start the car and run it while he is eating and close the boot. After that short trips turning into longer ones always going somewhere nice.

I think its just a question of patience. Him getting used to the noise and motion.

Good luck!

Helen.
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

:2035: Hi Diane,
Lovely photo's again, and DO keep posting them.
Regarding Monty's travel problems, I think Helen is right in that it will take time and patience for him to overcome his fears. he has to learn to trust you too.
Ella has NEVER liked getting in the boot. She will run back into the house, bring us one of her toys, and start to shiver and shake. She has been with us 5yrs now and she HAS improved, and once we are on the move, she seems to be fine. On the return journey.....no problem :1960
Just keep on going.
Jean
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you Jean and Helen for the very useful advice.The car we have is a Subaru Forester which is a 4x4 and very roomy.Ellie was sitting in the car waiting very patiently you would think that he would want to follow her.If only he knew all the wonderful places we are going to take him to and holidays.He has come a long way already couldn't even get him to walk up the road at first.Its the first dog we have had with this problem.I am home nearly all the time so have plenty of time to help him overcome this obstacle. :love4
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I think it is still early days yet and perhaps you are trying too hard.

I would leave it for a while and then just try him a few times and them straight out again and then when he gets used to that start the car and then stop and out again. Over a period of weeks. I think if he is so worried then feeding him in the car is not the way to go he may get a phobia about that if you do. You could also try some of those DAP sprays or some calming Bach tablets or liquid.
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you so much Jan will take it all on board and take things a bit more slowly. :love5
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Thinking again he may be better on the back seat where he is nearer you. Just a thought.
sammingtonsmythes

We were thinking of that Jan have got the harness etc already.The problem is where we live its a bit far from the vets.All the walks at the moment are up the steep hill which is a bit tough on my chest that i injured when my car was written off by a lorry a month ago still have the awful chest infection that i can't throw off.Not giving in though he will still get 2 really good walks a day.Want to be able to take Monty and Ellie on holiday with us later in the year also.He was doing so well made be a bit too ambitious. :love5
Last edited by sammingtonsmythes on Thu May 20, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Just a thought Diane,
Does Monty enjoy going for walks?. If you don't have problems with Ellie, get her lead and a biscuit, open the car and ask her to get in. Sit with her and make a fuss, ignore the boy, but make sure you have had his attention. If he thinks he's missing out he might just make the move. A fuss, and out we get. Try not to get hot and bothered as this will transfer to him. Good luck, a waiting game I guess.

Our 2 are the complete opposite, hear the car keys, then all hell breaks loose :2063: . Keys mean OUT and good fun, they can't get out fast enough. Guess there's no happy medium.

Oh, a quick P.S.
PLEASE keep the photos coming, ( that goes for all the budding David Baileys out there).
It is such a joy seeing our wonderful Goldens having the life they so deserve. :love4 and being able to share in that.

Lxx
Last edited by lynn wise on Thu May 20, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammingtonsmythes

When we first got him Lynn, he was very scared of even going down the drive.Now he loves it but as we are a bit out of town and on a very steep hillside we are taking him to the same place all the time.Ellie loves the car but we have to use a ramp to get her in as she is 12.Monty doesn't like the ramp(even the look of it we have never tried to make him use the ramp even) so we will have to keep that out of the way when we try again.It is such a violent reaction in Monty i think we are going to try the back seat first.He got in the foot well with me last night.I will sit on the back seat and see if he will get in with me and then much further down the line try the dog area.Thank you for your help Lynn it is very much appreciated.Our first rescue dog Bosun (not one of Jan's)was about 9 when we got him he had never been out of doors and had been locked in a pantry ALL his life we ended up having him for 6 wonderful years.He came out as if being born again and was only afraid of the Eastenders theme tune!!Dread to think what that was all about bless him.He was the most amazing extremely smiley happy boy.I absolutely adored him as did anyone who met him.You know the sort of dog you would be inspired to write a book about.This is Bosun his favourite trick was begging when your back was turned.Amazing dog. :love5
Last edited by sammingtonsmythes on Thu May 20, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

:love4 Beautiful.