How did your dog get its name?

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Eastonwolfs

How did your dog get its name?

Post by Eastonwolfs »

I was interested to read from Lynda how Cobi and Ginne got their names...and it set me thinking...how did your dog/s get their name/s?

For us the frist dog we adopted as a couple was from Dogs Trust...we were first drawn to him as he'd been called 'Terry' and that was my husbands boss's name at the time...he'd been picked up by the dog warden so they just gave him that name...when we adopted him we decdied to call him 'Sam' as my step children really wanted Sam to win the X Factor or Popstars (or whatever it was at the time?)...but Sam unfortuantely lost...

When we got Amber from Jan she's been abandoned too and didn't have a real name...(I think she might have been called Gretal or something?) this time we trawled the internet looking at dogs names, came up with a shortlist, then took it from there.

Amber suits her because her eyes are the colour of the stone Amber.
:2386:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Re: How did your dog get its name?

Post by Ellas mum »

We had a Border Collie who was born around the same time as our daughter and they grew up together. We named her Tammy after the song "Tammy". Can anyone remember that song :2074:

Our first Golden we had from a puppy. She was'nt a rescue , but was in a way connected to Jan, as she put us in touch with a super breeder. We took her name...Leigh...from her pedigree. Our second Golden was from the Rescue, her name was Stella. Somehow she didn't look like a Stella and it made us think of the beer Stella Artois so we changed it to Ella.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I like that story about Ella and Stella Artois,
I had thought about calling our first golden Katie (as in what Katey did next) but the farmers wife ( where we used to store our caravan) his wife was called Kate, and it didn't seem quite right, shouting Katie across the fields.
Our first golden, I had thought about calling her Layla, but it didn't quite trip off the tongue that well. One night after visiting a friend for several drinks(hic, hic, hic) we told him about how we were collecting the little golden bundle the following week and that we were thinking of calling her Kayleigh ( 1985 song from Marrillon) and he wrote down how it was spelt in gaelic so that's what she became, Ceili. Several years after we heard many children being called the same name. Anyone who doesn't know this song won't know how haunting and it's a sad story about a lost love, after Ceili died in 2000 I couldn't play it without shedding tears for ages after. Then we collected Ginnie from Jan 3 months later, happiness again for Abigail (who technically was Mum and Dad's dog, but they went abroad for a couple of holidays, and then she didn't want to leave us, I suppose because she had Ceili permanently as a playmate.
Ginnie isn't called Ginnie 'cos we like a drink of Gin, neither of us like that particular tipple, just a thought a boy dog could bear the name of some of Hubby's favourite malts!!!
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Our first Golden was Bracken, she came to us in October and was the most wonderful colour. Very much like Cobi, the colour of Autumn Bracken. Hence the name.
Next in line was Holly, no reason for that other than it suited her.
Then came Spring, her kennel name was Spring, also my favourite season. She was born in spring, we married in spring.Job done.
Then there was Lucy, who was the sweetest little girlie. I used to call her Lucy Locket. Don't know why, but it stuck. Her kennel name became Lucy Locket.
Then Timber, no reason other than I had always fancied the name for a boy dog.
Finally, Willow. The name she had was the same as a little girl that lives at the back of us. I didn't relish going into the garden and shouting her name in case the parents took offence( not dog people) In the back of the car after collecting her from Jan, was this tiny little thing that looked so willowy----- there, Willow.
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Jazz came from Jan with the name. Probably a corruption of Jason & the Golden Fleece. Candy also came with the name, though we do call her Candy Ann sometimes in memory of a waif we took in .
We have tried to get Roses in memory of them.
We have "Pretty Jessica" in memory of our first Golden.
"Anne Boleyn" in memory of Orphan Annie.
If anyone knows of any Roses with a name like Jazz or Candy please pass it on. :1999:

P, S J & C
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Most of my own rescues have had their own name but two were named by me Poppy who was abandoned very old and weak and it was remembrance sunday so hence the name. She was a darling and so determined. She had four strokes and would not give in and had a wonderful life just doing her own thing. SHe loved sunbathing .

The other was Ted who was also abandoned found wandering in Warrington and no one claimed this wonderful old guy who was so full of personality. He was an absolute treasure and I shall always be grateful for the 14 special months I had him in my life. I called him Ted because he was just like a teddy bear. I even forgave him for getting me up at 5 every morning. He must have been used to that with his previous owner.
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

Most of mine (and now ours) have come with their own names - Bruce, Max, Ben x2, Chloe, Anna and little Alex :2379:

When we got Amber - because she had had such a traumatic time, we changed it to Amber.

Our own dogs were Toby (had originally thought of calling him Benson but it was too raw after loosing Ben I - we did call him Deefer for a couple of weeks, but went off that idea). Poppy was called that because (like Jan) we got her on Remembrance Day and I am very patriotic.

Naming your dog is worse than naming your children :2094:

xx
sonia
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sonia »

Before we got our first golden we had a mulled over names, wanting something short so came up with Troy.
The same thing with Luke and Brad we picked nice short names, somebody once said to me why do you pick human like name, well because they are human to us lol..
Now Ella well thats the name she had and we like it :)
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

I think dogs names like peoples names have changed over the years.

I bet a few of us can remember when dogs were called 'Shandy' - 'Lucky' - 'Brandy' - 'Patch' etc...you don't seem to hear those names as much these days we've gone posher somehow...or thats what I think?

Is 'posher' a real word? :2019:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Although my two arnt rescue Paddy is Paddy as he has Irish lines in his pedigree, Lucy we really couldnt think of a name when we got her, thought of a few names Maia, Ellie, then one day we came across Lucy and I looked at her and said "would you like to be a Lucy then?" she looked at me and thought that was it, so there you are... or "Double Trouble " as they are also known... :1959:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Our Emily was her name when we adopted her, not lucy ,which we were advised by Jan to change her name too for obvious reasons on the web site. Snowy was originaly Boysie, buy we didnt like this name and originaly was going to call him Bradly but when we saw his white coat snowy sprang to mind and he took to it straight away. Emily sometimes gets shortend to M, and Snowy to snow. Whatever they are called they are both special and well loved and will be for the rest of there lives :love6
julie

Post by julie »

Honey was named by Jan and it's so apt for her. :1941: She was going to be Megan / Maggie but she liked (responded) to Honey much better so it stuck. She now has the middle name Rose because a little one said she needed one to match the family and her logic was a rose is beautiful and so is Honey. And also because Best Dog in the World was considered too long!

My boys came with their names from Dogs Trust; Sam had been Sam all his life and as he was 12 there was no changing that and Danny Boy just got shortened to Dan.
PupsandPets

Post by PupsandPets »

Holly was already named when we got her but she was named as such for being a Christmas baby.

Bramble was named after a huge stunning Bermese Mountain Dog that used to live near my parents and I fell in love with that dog so much I always said I'd name my next dog after her - so I did! :1963