Well Done, Sam!!

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Samsmum

Well Done, Sam!!

Post by Samsmum »

We were so proud of Sam this weekend.
We took the caravan to Dinerth Hall Camp Site, Rhos-on-Sea, on Thursday. It is a working farm, and it is a nice place to stay; large field for tourers and a smaller one for tents.
Sam had two good swims in the sea, and we had a couple of good drenchings, first south of Caernarvon, way off the main road, and near to an Air Museum and small airfield.
We had a picnic, and then Sam went in the sea, and thoroughly enjoyed himself.
Second time, was at Deganwy on Sunday, when he didn't exactly come out smelling of roses!!!
On Friday, we were sitting in the caravan, having a cup of tea, when we heard shouting. When we got to the door, there was the farmer's man with three Border Collies, and about 30-odd sheep. They ran into the Caravan field, with the dogs in hot pursuit, and obeying the farmer's commands, they guided the sheep out through the gate and down the lane beside the tent field and into the far field.
The whole time Sam stood besided us outside the caravan;
we told him to stay, and he did; he just stood with ears pricked and watched the collies manoevre the sheep, and not once did he make any effort to run after them.
On Saturday, we returned to the caravan late afternoon, and there were three hens drinking from Sam's water bowl.
We just told him to stay, and we all stood and watched the hens, and with eyes like chapel hat-pegs, and ears pricked, he watched their every move, but never attempted to run up to them.
We were so proud of him. If it had been our previous Golden, Meg, there would have been havoc!!! Instructions were for everyone but Meg!! So you can imagine our delight that Sam could restrain himself, though sorely tempted.
We couldn't wish for better. Thanks again Jan!!
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Well Done, Sam!!

Post by janrobinson »

How he has come on when you think back to the poor little mite you took to your hearts. I bet you were bursting with pride. I am so impressed. :1944: :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Hello Joyce,

Lovely to read that you all had a good time. Did Sam get extra rations for being a good lad? What a good dog, can imagine how proud you must have been. :1951:
L xx
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Well, Lynn. Sam is such a good lad - if we gave him extra rations every time he behaves well, he would be like a house-end!! And our Vet, who likes slim dogs, would not be impressed!
We are so lucky to have a dog who is so eager to please, and everybody loves him to bits. When my students come in, they don't say "Hello Joyce" - their first words are "Where's Sam?" so that tells us where their affections lie!
And yes, Jan, Sam has come on such a lot from that pathetic little lad who looked like a Whippet! My only sadness is, when we take him for a walk, David always has to hold the lead, as I have had such a lot of surgery on my hands, I cannot hold Sam, as he is very strong on the lead.
We have a Gentle Leader, but I have not much confidence in my grip, and I have to preserve my hands as much as I can so that I can continue playing and teaching. But I can trot happily alongside David and Sam and still enjoy the walks!!
So I don't lose out altogether.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Sam your the man,Joyce you must be so proud of him, but don't forget with your love and care he has matured into the special dog you now have taken to your hearts. Im sure Meg was special to you in so many other ways ,They all deserve the chance to show there true potential and when we allow them to do just that,they will repay us all many times over. :love6
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

:2035: Hi Joyce,
Sounds like you all had a lovely time. I think Sam should have 3 gold stars for his excellent behaviour. I would love to have seen his face, bet it was a picture. Makes you wonder what they are thinking doesn't it?
Well done Sam :1951:
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Sam says "thank you" for all your congratulations and good wishes. We love him dearly, and are very proud of him.
Yes, we loved Meg dearly too; she was totally different, and had us laughing one minute and in dismay the next - she was an absolute free spirit. We missed her terribly and still do, but we have very happy memories, and we appreciate Sam in different ways. He's a star.
This weekend, I am off to visit friends in the North East on my own, so Sam will be looking after David, but the weekend after we are both going away, so he will be having a couple of days with his friend Harold, next door. They will be drooling over each otherk believe me!