New Arrival

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: New Arrival

Post by lynn wise »

Must add that I agree with Jan wholeheartedly. Poppy's been through a traumatic time, let her settle with you, and then take it from there. I really think a season is prefered, as she will mature bodily with it. then, as Jan says, 3 months on have her neutered.
gordons mum and dad
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by gordons mum and dad »

Poppy looks like a lovely little girl. I hope she continues to settle in with you. What a lucky girl, a bad start to life, but now a truly home from home!!! :thumbleft
sonia
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sonia »

Have to say our vets wouldn't let us get Ella spayed until 3 months after her season, i thought this would be the same with all good vets.
poppy

Post by poppy »

After much conflicting advise and concerns we contacted our vetinary practice and sought advice again giving Poppy's unknown background - she was not owned by a breeder but a non thinking owner who let the dogs breed but did not sell them on and they were kept in these terrible conditions. We had her spayed on the vets recommendation 7 days ago They kept her in clinic as short a time as possible to help ease her distress. While under she was also chipped -teeth cleaned -and nails cut -a real makeover. Now its done her new life starts Friday when her stitiches are removed. Our real problem was keeping her quiet while in 'recovery period 'after 2 days she was running around as a young pup should.
A phone call yesterday from the Midland rehomer telling us one of the slightly older females around 16months was found to be having pups due in about 10 days has made what we have done to Poppy worth while we have ended the unkown line of unwanted pups
She is going on her first holiday with us on Monday in our touring caravan a short journey just for a few days
She still loves us she is so affectionate toward us but sadly shy with strangers but we hope this holiday will help toward her confidence building :wave:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

I think all the posts on here advised waiting to have Poppy neutered after a season. From my experience, our first bitch was done on the advice from our Vet. I often wished we had waited, Bracken was at the stage in her growth where she was all legs and tail, and that was how she stayed for the rest of her life. Certainly our present Vets say 3 months after season. As for one of the other bitches being in whelp, a simple test would have been all that was required to ascertain whether Poppy was in the same condition. At least now, she is in a safe and loving home.
Hoping you enjoy your Midland Web site, as much as we at N.W. enjoy ours.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I am pleased your little girl is well but disappointed you disregarded all our advice. Usually people on this site are happy with our advice
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

We hope that Poppy has a happy life at long last.. even though she is only 7 months. I must add my bit in saying that I am very surprised that your vet suggested she be spayed so early, we have had Goldens in our family since 1978, Ginnie and Cobi are the first two rescue retrievers we have owned, (from Jan) We don't know how old Ginnie is, (anything between 101/2 and 12 now) we can only guess, the one thing we did know is that she had been spayed, we think at a very early age, Ginnie does not any teats whatsoever, Abby had extra ones almost up to her neck. Cobi came into season the day after we collected her from Jan, and she was spayed 3 months after her season finished, our vet said that this was because her uterus was at the optimum size for the operation. As for keeping them quiet, after collecting Cobi from the vets she shot upstairs and jumped onto our bed !!
sonia
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sonia »

Glad to hear Poppy is recovering well after her op... But like the others i am surprised that a vet even considered doing it without waiting the 3 months after a season, as Lynda has said it something to do with things returning to normal.
PaulZ

l

Post by PaulZ »

Lovely picture of Poppy glad to see her story has a happy ending :1999: