New Arrival

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

poppy

New Arrival

Post by poppy »

We have a rescued retriever from the Midland Golden Retriever centre. She is about 10 months old and was kept indoors along with 20 other Retrievers!!!!!
After the rescue she spent a week in a kennel getting health check a week in foster home where she walked on grass for the first time. We have had her for 7 days now and in that time she has changed from a shy dog who would not walk on a lead she crawled on her stomach and today we walked for one hour along a road with plenty of traffic.
It is wonderful seeing her investigate smells butterflies etc in garden. She stalks the pigeons they did frighten her at first but now she is facinated. We have called her Poppy and she is beginnig to show real Retriver ways as walking around with soft toys in her mouth helping herself to logs and enjoys her food she is underweght a present and a little bald as she had to have her matted fur removed but I am sure she will be very pretty when it grows back :2058:

I would welcome any tips advice on settling a resue dog.
hairydog

Re: New Arrival

Post by hairydog »

You seem to be doing ok,take one day at a time, dogs live in the now not in the past, just reassure her, and once you get into a routine I am sure she will blossom..would love to see the lovely Poppy, pics please... :1959:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi, and welcome :2035:

As Kathryn says, you really do seem to be doing fine. Poppy is doing what all puppy's do, wanting to find out all she can, exploring this new world and the new home that she's found with you. Love, time and patience and she will thrive.

All good wishes, and pictures would be lovely.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Hi, and welcome to the site. :2035:

Found Poppys story interesting. Hope all goes well for you. To echo Kathryn and Jean, you sound to be doing everything you can for Poppy. Take it a day at a time, lots of love, cuddles and praise. She will settle quite quickly I'm sure, learning a new routine seems to come as an exciting time for dog and owner. You'll both learn about each other. With our 2, we didn't push them, just let them come to terms with their new life, learning and loving. You will be rewarded a hundred fold for giving her a forever home, Thankyou for giving her that chance. XXXXX

What happened to the other 20? Hope and pray that they were rescued also.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Re Poppy's story. The owner of the 20 dogs was allowed to keep 4. Midland Rescue had to rehome 16 Poppy was the youngest non of her siblings survived., the Midland rehomer, when I last spoke had managed to find homes for all execpt 2.
Poppy has been for another walk and met new people but is still a little shy even if they tried to feed her treats
She happily goes into her cage at night and waits for a treat She now knows her name and quite happily comes to us when we call she also loves chasing a ball so I will soon work on retrieve.
She loves plenty of cuddles and lets us handle her very well.
Tomorrow she will meet our Grandchildren for the first time.
I will post pics when I can find out how to do it. :2078:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Have a look at...Putting Your Pictures In Posting's...under...General Non-Doggy Chat :2074:
sonia
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sonia »

What a sad beginning Poopy has had but all that has changed thankfully, she will blossom with your love and affection :)
We have a rescue from Jan she has well settled in now, although took a good 3 or 4 months and the change is amazing it been so rewarding.
Would love to see a picture of Poppy :2094:
poppy

Post by poppy »

I hope picture of poppy has tranferred.
She is now jumping in and out of car all by herself she is enjoying her walks still very shy with people but bikes- skateboards rumbling past do not really upset her she stands and watches Had nose contact with strange dogs did not back off too much
She is learning table manners as sit -stay -take it before diving into her food dish.
Her hair is starting to grow she is starting to look like a Retriever!!! :thumbsup:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

:2035: Hi,
Thank you for the photo, glad you managed it.
Poppy looks a lovely, gentle girl. When you think of the life she had before, she's doing wonderfully well. She must be feeling so happy in her new world, as you must be, watching her grow and flourish, having given her a second chance in life. I'm sure she'll go from strength to strength.

Keep us all posted :thumbleft
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Its always sad to, read of storys like poppys, but it looks like this one will have a happy ending.Im sure with your love and help she will reward you with her love,and be a special part of your family for years to come.Thanks for giving her a chance to have a wonderfull life. :love3
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

What a lovely photo of Poppy, so very pleased that she has got a chance in life. You must be so proud of her.
:1971
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

We were walking Ginnie and Cobi around a local nature reserve where we were caravanning for the last 6 days and a lady who we have chatted to a couple of times and knows our two are from rescue told me that 22 Goldens had been rescued, and would I like another!!!!!!

Hope that everything goes well and Poppy 'recovers' from her odeal.. some dogs never get over certain problems but you just learn to live and make allowances and know the signs, and I do hope that good and loving homes are found for every dog that 'ends up' in rescue. I feel sorry for the 4 goldens that this person has been allowed keep, and if this person was a breeder. NO MORE PUPPIES.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

My sentiments also Lynda, the poor 4 left behind. :2009:
poppy

Post by poppy »

Next Wednesday Poppy is being spayed. The vet we are using advised us to have her done sooner rather than later as we do no know her past and it is not known if she has had a season. We do feel a little concerned as she is so trusting with us and we do not want her to have a set back any advise on her after care will be most welcome :1939:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

She seems rather young to be spayed so quickly. It is major surgery for a baby and you do not know if she has just had a season or not as it is usually advisable to have a bitch spayed three months after a season. My advice for what it is worth, would be to leave her until she has had a season and go on from there. by that time she will have become completely settled and will have filled out and will trust you completely.